Thursday 12 December 2013

Thursday, December 12th 2013

I went to the Intermediate/Advanced Olympic Weightlifting class on Wednesday night but won't be writing about those because, honestly, it would end up being novel-length.  We did tons of work and I feel humbled.  I have been making great progress in a lot of things but man oh man did that class bring me back down to Earth.  Frank is a phenomenal coach who provides just the right balance between encouragement and criticism.  I have only trained under him a few times and could say a lot about him as a coach.  I really look forward to continuing these Wednesday classes.

That being said, it was hard to get up on Thursday morning.  I've grown so accustomed to working out in the morning that this afternoon/evening session really messed me up.  It was almost 10pm and I was still wide awake, trying to visualize a decent snatch pull... I did manage to get up, though, so that's good.

Strength:
Strict Press 4x6-8
Split Jerks 4x4 at 65% of C&J for speed

This is deviating from the work done by regular classes because of the new Olympic Weightlifting regimen.  Since we did some heavy squats on Wednesday night, and I imagine that being a trend in the future, we don't squat on Thursdays.  Strict Press were good.  Coach Howard suggested not to burnout and go to failure for these so I went up to 85# for all four sets.  I worked at 165# for the Split Jerks and they felt really good this week.  Focused on finishing the extension after the dip and drive as well as getting under the bar quick and solidly.  Coach said that I don't bend my back leg, which is causing me to lean forward slightly when I catch the bar.  Will be something to work on because I felt like I really tried to bend the back knee in later sets to no avail.  I wasn't confident that I would still have the stability to hold the weight but Coach assured me that I would be ok.

WOD:
21-15-9
Wall Balls @ 20#
Push Press @ 135#
Box Jumps @ 30"

I told Botch before starting that this looked like a good one for me.  Wallballs are usually comfortable, as are box jumps.  I admittedly wasn't too sure about the Push Press because of all the overhead work we'd done in lieu of the prescribed 5RM Back Squat.  Coach Howard gave us the green light for shoulder to overhead rather than strictly push press, which would allow for either push jerks, involving a re-dip at the knee to catch the bar that is already on its way up, or split jerks.  3-2-1-Go.  We both go unbroken on the wallballs and Botch starts his Push Press with 10 reps to my five before breaking.  We both go for two more sets of five until Botch leaves for the box.  He hadn't planned his box location very well so as he moved it, I finished my last six reps and we started jumping simultaneously.  We stayed basically neck and neck on the box jumps and the set of 15 wall balls.  Three sets of five push press later, we were on to box jumps again.  As in the previous set, we went rep for rep through the jumps and set of nine wallballs.  On the last set of push press, I went for six reps-rest-three reps.  I think Botch went for five reps and then rested before having a bit of a hard time on the last ones, but I'm not 100% sure.  Regardless, I moved to the final box jumps a few seconds before Botch and didn't look back.  We went basically rep for rep again but I started off a few ahead and maintained the "lead" until the end.  Score one for the good guy.

Time: 8:45

No comments:

Post a Comment