Monday 2 December 2013

Monday, December 2nd 2013

Although it may be hard to get up on Mondays, I know that it will likely be the funnest day of the week at the gym.

Strength:
2times -> 1 Power Clean - 1 Hang Power Clean - 1 Squat Clean at 55-60%
2 times -> 1 Power Clean - 1 Hang Squat Clean - 1 Squat Clean at 60-70%
3 times -> 1 Squat Clean - 1 Hang Squat Clean - 1 Squat Clean at 70-80%

5x5 Back Squats at 90% of 5RM

Always great to see so much strength work on the board.  Not only is it fun, but it means a short WOD.  Started off my cleans at 140# for the first part of the complex.  Moved up to 175# for the second part and finished off at 200#.  All of the lifts were successful but I had to pay special attention to making my last lift as fast and crisp as my first one.  I know Howard likes to make sure I work hard but today I feel like he crossed the line a bit (All in good fun, here)...  Accidentally or not, he made us believe that the back squat weight was to be calculated from our 1RM, not our 5RM.  Seemed like it would be too heavy as I load 265# on the bar.  Did 2 sets of that and, as thought, it was near failure on the last reps.  Then Howard realized that we should calculate our weights from our 5RM, not our 1RM and I dropped the weight to 235.  Much better but still tough.  Got a new 5RM on my first couple sets, though! WOO!

WOD:
5 Rounds of:
3 Deadlifts at 275
4 Box Jumps at 36"
5 Burpees over Bar

I decided to Rx the Deadlifts on my own, whereas I usually require a push from others.  Seemed like a good time to go heavy, because I love box jumps and there weren't enough burpees to really matter.  The deadlifts went surprisingly well.  All sets unbroken but after having taken a few seconds to mentally prepare and make sure that my form would be as good as possible.  Felt my back rounding a bit on the last set but I don't think it was too bad.  Box jumps went great, I was really happy to see high ones since it had been a while.  Burpees over bar were quick.  I could see them being a hinderance if you're trying to really run through the WOD but I knew I would be taking some time before the Deadlifts.

Time: 5:57 which is much fast than I anticipated.  Really good day at the gym overall!

No comments:

Post a Comment