Monday 9 December 2013

Monday, December 9th 2013

I can pretend like it never happened but I'll just go ahead and apologize for not posting last week.  Bit of laziness, lots of business and my ultimate excuse is just needing to find the groove for blogging.  Starting a new week and feeling motivated again.

Strength: 
1 Clean + 3 Jerks x 3 sets at 70-75%
1 Clean + 2 Jerks x 2 sets at 80-85%

5 x 5 Back Squats at 90% of 5RM (Go heavier than last week)

Following my PR from a couple of weeks ago, my percentages have logically gotten much heavier.  I feel like I am putting in the appropriate effort for the given percentage now, so I think I'm at a pretty good place in my lifting.  First complex of clean and jerks was done at 185# and second at 210#.  Cleans were all good, as I can now say it is really close to being second nature to finish my 3rd extension.  Kept working on my jerk technique, especially the recovery since I had a tendency to just take one big step backward and swing the weight.  Everything felt good.  Heavy at times, but strong overall.

Back squats were heavy today at 240#.  Due to running out of time, I used my 225# warmup as one of my working sets but the other four were at 240#.  I had Mitch spot me just in case but I managed to complete all of the work without any help.  Coach Howard thinks that we will be doing this regularly for the next couple of weeks with slightly increasing weights.  It's a brutal rep scheme, but I'm sure that it's helping.

WOD:
21-15-9 of:
Thrusters 95#
Kettlebell Swings 24kg

I normally don't mind thrusters in a workout but kb swings are really not my thing.  Through all of the effort that I put into using proper technique, I still seem to always have a stiff/sore lower back.  It was nice, however, to not be using the red dragon for this one, AKA 32kg kettlebell.  I broke up my first set of thrusters 15-6 but shortened my break when I saw Mitch move on to his swings.  I finished up my set and went unbroken on my first set of swings to get back into it.  Then I did 10-5 thrusters and same for swings.  Last set was unbroken for both movements.  All in all, good WOD although really showed me that my conditioning is a weak point.  What's with CrossFit and finding all your weak points?

Time: 5:35

No comments:

Post a Comment